Thursday 6 February 2014

In response to the article "Where Are the Women of Wing Chun?" This is Ginny Chow...


I am a Chinese Dutch woman born in The Hague Holland.

My goal is to help other people with my experience. I had a tough childhood, as a child of 8 years , I was as the only Chinese in school and often got bullied. Every day I fought the bullies at school which were usually boys. I can’t remember that I ever won one fight, but I succeeded to show them: "you can beat me up, but it doesn't affect me "

At one point as an adult I found it important to learn how to defend myself and my children. I did self-defense courses for women from 2009 to 2010 then switched to Taekwondo in May 2010. I learned very quick and went from one graduation to the next, I won multiple national titles in style competitions and am part of the Dutch selection training group.

In 2010 I got to know Wing Chun through Sifu Lyndon Oudsten, he showed me how to use my energy in a harmonious way and taught me the Sil Nim Tao. All the basic hand movements used in Wing Chun are contained in Sil Nim Tao, there is minimal leg movement in the form, the feet only move to set up the stance in the initial movements.

When you understand Sil Nim Tao then you get quickly addicted to it! I first started each day with one hour. I sweated like crazy as if all poison was being expelled from my body. Every time I became healthier and stronger both in mind and body.

I picked up Wing Chun even faster, it feels very natural to me and I appreciate the beauty of Wing Chun, which is a self-defense art with health exercises designed by a woman to ward of a bigger and stronger attacker.

I am training Wing Chun under my instructors Sifu Michael Choi (Choi Choi) and GM Greg Yau, both have amazing skills and are true experts. I am very privileged to be their student.

Together with Sifu Lyndon we started our association Lyn Harmony Wing Chun in the Netherlands. We teach Wing Chun, Qigong, Children's Kung Fu and Women’s Self-defense, but we also do confidence building and meditation programs.

-Ginny Chow
Lyn Harmony Wing Chun
Amsterdam, Netherlands

* Ginny Chow, we appreciate you for writing this for us, thank you.